PARTNERS ON PAPER: A Citywide Salute to Art Made On and Of Paper—September 20-November 12, 2011
Monday, January 30, 2012
PARTNERS ON PAPER: A Citywide Salute to Art Made On and Of Paper
From September 20 through November 12, the five largest arts organizations in Springfield (The Illinois State Museum, University of Illinois Visual Art Gallery, Springfield Art Association, Prairie Art Alliance Gallery II, and Robert Morris Gallery) will celebrate the varied role paper plays in art. This collaboration dubbed PARTNERS ON PAPER will provide five exhibitions all centered on paper and its many manifestations in art. Plus, over this six-week period there will be artist lectures, gallery talks, art demonstrations, and artist-lead workshops, all culminating in a “Super Saturday” at the Museum, November 12 that will feature hands–on art activities for children including origami and papermaking. On October 21 the public is invited to a progressive reception event for the five exhibitions. It will be an evening of gallery hopping from one exhibition to the next. These receptions will feature light refreshments, music, and great art! For program scheduling information, see http://bit.ly/partnersonpaper, PARTNERS ON PAPER Facebook page or any of the five organizations' websites. Funding for this partnership has been provided in part by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council, a state agency.
EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES CALENDAR
The 5 Art Exhibitions:
- Mother Tree Project by Helen Hiebert, UIS Visual Arts Gallery, Oct. 3-Nov. 5
- On and Of Paper: Selections from the Illinois State Museum, Illinois State Museum, Oct. 21-April 29
- On and Of Paper: Book Arts, Springfield Art Association, Oct. 7-Nov. 5
- Paper Works, Prairie Art Alliance, Gallery II, Oct. 7-Oct. 29
- Life in the Counter-Form: The Cut Paper Art of Richard Shipps, Robert Morris Gallery, Sept. 20-Oct. 28
Documentary Art Video screening:
Water Paper Time: Explorations in Paper a short documentary video of the drying process of paper made by artist Helen Hiebert. Through the use of close-up time lapse photography, the stretching and undulation of drying paper becomes mesmerizingly suggestive of water, land and snow environments. (16 minutes-screened daily). Illinois State Museum, October 7-November 12Citywide Public Progressive Reception Event for All Exhibitions, October 21, 4:30-8:00PM
- UIS Visual Arts Gallery, 4:30-6:30PM
- Springfield Art Association, 5:00-7:00PM
- Illinois State Museum, 5:30-7:30PM
- Prairie Art Alliance Gallery II, 6:00-8:00PM
- Robert Morris Gallery, 6:00-8:00PM
- Brown Bag Lecture, by Betsy Dollar on Paper and Artist Books, Springfield Art Association, Oct. 17, Noon
- Gallery Talk by Richard Shipps, Robert Morris Gallery, Oct. 21, 6:00PM
- Curator Gallery Talk by Jennifer Jaskowiak, Illinois State Museum Gallery, Oct. 22, Noon
- Richard Shipps will demonstrate his paper cutting techniques, Illinois State Museum, Oct. 22, 1:00PM
- "Art Talks" Pulp Painting by Pam Miller; Paper Pulp by Dennis Moore, Prairie Art Alliance Gallery II, Oct. 25, Noon
- Prairie Art Alliance Classroom: Paper Pulp Design: Two and Three Dimensional (ages 12-Adult) Paper making artist Dennis Morris has been exhibiting and selling his sculptures, designs and molds in art fairs and galleries throughout our area for many years. He will teach the process of making paper pulp and show various applications of the use from two dimensional designs to creating molds into three-dimensional sculpture. Finished pieces will be exhibited during the progressive reception on Friday, October 21. ($40 Fee/PAA members $35). Saturday, October 1st, 9:30am-Noon.
- Prairie Art Alliance Classroom: Pulp Painting: A Papermaking Process. (ages 7-10) a workshop at Prairie Art Alliance Classroom. Instructor: Pam Miller. Finished pieces will be exhibited during the progressive reception on Friday, October 21. ($20 Fee/PAA members $10). Saturday, October 8, 9:00am-Noon.
- Springfield Art Association: The Accordion Book: Simple Structure, Endless Possibilities. (Ages 7-adult) Betsy Dollar, Paper Artist and Executive Director of the SAA will conduct a youth oriented bookmaking workshop at Springfield Art Association. (FREE: all materials provided). Wednesday, October 9, 4-6pm.
- Springfield Art Association: Adult workshop led by Helen Hiebert. This introduction to papermaking sheet forming with sculptural intentions is a 1-day workshop. Participants will make sheets of paper from highly beaten abaca fiber. Then explore how to embed stiff, yet flexible materials, between these sheets of paper which will result in unique sculptural forms as they air dry. When dry, the sheets can be manipulated into forms ranging from lamps and lanterns to sculptural objects. ($50 Fee). Saturday, October 22, 10am-3pm.
Final Event: Super Saturday at the Illinois State Museum November 12, 10:00am-4:00pm. Youth oriented hands-on activities involving paper making, origami, print making, painting, and drawing. (ages 4-12)
Back to News & Press.
Illinois State Museum
The Illinois State Museum promotes discovery, learning, and an appreciation of Illinois' natural, cultural, and artistic heritage.
General Information: (217)782-7386
Director's Office: (217)782-7011
Interim Museum Director: Michael Wiant
Press Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org