The Mary Ann MacLean Play Museum - ISM Springfield
The Mary Ann MacLean Play Museum
at the Illinois State Museum
- Load a Jeep for an expedition
- Crawl through a cave
- Excavate a Mastodont skeleton
- Frame works of art
- Play Museum!
The Mary Ann MacLean Play Museum is a new, hands-on children’s gallery in which children will learn what it is like to work at a museum through play. Children can choose from a variety of activities in the Play Museum--all designed for kids ages 3-10. From loading a jeep for a scientific expedition, to framing and displaying child-friendly art, to piecing together a baby Mastodont puzzle, to exploring amazing collections, children--and the adults who bring them--will learn about the worlds of nature and culture through play and learn to care about the world around them.
The Play Museum is a free, fun, and unique educational resource for families and school groups.
Visitor GuidePlay Museum Hours: (different than the regular Museum hours)
Monday - Saturday 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM
Sunday 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- No food, beverages, gum or candy are allowed in the Play Museum.
- Please park your strollers outside the Play Museum.
- The Museum does not have food or eating facilities.
- All restrooms are accessible and include changing tables.
- Children must be accompanied by a caregiver over 16 years old.
Learn about other exhibitions currently at the Illinois State Museum, Springfield.