FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE June 15, 2016
CONTACT: Chris Young (217) 557-1240 email@example.com
Illinois State Museum to Welcome Visitors on July 2
SPRINGFIELD, IL – The Illinois State Museum in Springfield will reopen to the public on July 2 after the Illinois General Assembly’s Joint Committee on Administrative Rules (JCAR) approved a request by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) to charge an admission fee. The museum will once again welcome visitors from across the state to learn about the history, people, land, art and culture of Illinois.
“We are excited to welcome the public back to the Illinois State Museum,” said IDNR Director Wayne Rosenthal. “The Illinois State Museum is the best place in Illinois for families from around the state and around the world to explore the rich history of our state.”
This week, JCAR approved a rule authorizing the IDNR to establish an adult admission fee of $5.00 for the museum’s main campus in Springfield. Children age 18 and under, seniors and veterans will be admitted free. The admission fee is part of a greater effort to diversify the sources of funding for the museum.
The Illinois State Museum in Springfield, the ISM Dickson Mounds Museum in Fulton Co., and the ISM Research and Collections Center in Springfield will officially reopen on July 2.
Special activities are planned and unique artifacts from the museum’s collections will be on display at the museum, located in the State Capitol Complex in Springfield. Additional special events will be held at the museum on select weekends during the summer.
The IDNR continues to work with stakeholders in communities where other Illinois State Museum branches are located in hopes of securing partnerships that would allow those branches to open.
Check back regularly for updates or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your support.
For more information about Springfield, contact the Springfield Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- 502 South Spring Street
Springfield, IL 62706-5000
- Mon- Sat 9:00AM-4:30PM; Sun. Noon-4:30PM; (Play Museum Tues.-Sat. 10:00AM-4:30PM, Sun 1:00-4:30PM, Closed Mon) Museum Closed New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
- Contact Information
- Telephone: (217)782-7386
- Free parking in the State Capitol Complex Visitors Center Lot one block west of the Museum. Metered street parking. Free parking on weekends in nearby State employee parking lots. Fully wheelchair accessible.
- Located at the corner of Spring and Edwards Streets, the ISM is in the Capitol Complex, just south of the State Capitol.
Location on MapQuest.
Location on Google Maps.
$5 for adults. Children 0-18, Seniors 65+, and military & veterans free.
Museum Store: Currently Closed
Play Museum Hours: (different than the regular Museum hours)
Tuesday-Saturday from 10am-4:30pm
Sunday from 1pm-4:30
Bus unloading and pickup is on westbound Edwards Street in front of the Museum. Bus parking is available in the Visitor Center Parking Area accessed by Edwards Street.
- No food, beverages, gum or candy are allowed in the museum.
- Backpacks are not allowed in the galleries and strollers are not allowed in the Play Museum gallery.
- A coat room and wheelchairs are available for visitor use.
- Photographs may be taken in all areas except the Art Gallery (depending on the exhibition).
- The Museum does not have food or eating facilities.
- All restrooms are accessible and include changing tables.
- In addition to the items above, groups should check in with the receptionist upon arrival.
- Adult chaperones are required to stay with their youth groups at all times.
- Please bring at least one adult for every ten members of your youth group.