Press Room -- Illinois State Museum, Springfield
New! Museum Family Passport Program at Illinois State Museum May 27 - August 18 posted May 23, 2013
CONTACT: Elizabeth Bazan 217-782-5993 email@example.com TTY: 217-782-9175 IMAGES: http://bit.ly/18fnBQl, http://bit.ly/165up5TSPRINGFIELD – The Illinois State Museum is launching a fun new program to encourage families to visit often this summer. Read more ...
Illinois State Museum Salutes Active Duty Military Personnel and Families posted May 22, 2013
CONTACT: Jim Zimmer217-782-7440 firstname.lastname@example.orgTTY: 217-782-9175 SPRINGFIELD – Today the Illinois State Museum system announced its role as a Blue Star Museums partner, joining a collaboration among the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families, the Department of Defense, and more than 1,800 museums across America. The nationwide program offers free admission to all active duty military personnel and their families from Memorial Day through Labor Day 2013. Beginning May 27th and continuing through September 2nd, active duty military families visiting any of the Illinois State Museum sites will receive a token of appreciation in addition to the free admission afforded to all visitors. Participating Illinois State Museum venues include the main facility in Springfield as well as those in Chicago, Lockport, Lewistown, and Whittington. The Blue Star Museums initiative was organized to reach out to military families and thank them for their service and sacrifice. Read more ...
Bonnie Styles and Karen Witter Honored at National Museums Advocacy Day posted March 01, 2013
Illinois State Museum Recognized for Leadership in Making the Case for Museums in Washington and Beyond SPRINGFIELD ─ Illinois State Museum Director Dr. Read more ...
New Exhibition Examines the Civil War from a Woman's Point of View posted January 28, 2013
SPRINGFIELD — The Illinois State Museum's new exhibition presents a fresh perspective on the Civil War by uncovering the fascinating stories of Illinois women who rigorously supported their fathers, husbands, brothers, sons, and friends from the home front. Read more ...
- 502 South Spring Street
Springfield, IL 62706-5000
- Mon.- Sat. 8:30 A.M.-5:00 P.M.; Sun. Noon-5:00 P.M.; Closed New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
- Contact Information
- Telephone: (217)782-7386
- Free parking in the State Capitol Complex Visitors Center Lot one block west of the Museum. Metered street parking. Free parking on weekends in nearby State employee parking lots. Fully wheelchair accessible.
- Located at the corner of Spring and Edwards Streets, the ISM is in the Capitol Complex, just south of the State Capitol.
Location on MapQuest.
Location on Google Maps.
Bus unloading and pickup is on westbound Edwards Street in front of the Museum. Bus parking is available in the Visitor Center Parking Area accessed by Edwards Street.
- A gift shop is available with a range of items for visitors of all ages.
- No food, beverages, gum or candy are allowed in the museum.
- Backpacks are not allowed in the galleries and strollers are not allowed in the Play Museum gallery.
- A coat room and wheelchairs are available for visitor use.
- Photographs may be taken in all areas except the Art Gallery (depending on the exhibition).
- The Museum does not have food or eating facilities.
- All restrooms are accessible and include changing tables.
- In addition to the items above, groups should check in with the receptionist upon arrival.
- Adult chaperones are required to stay with their youth groups at all times.
- Please bring at least one adult for every ten members of your youth group.