Lockport Curator Geoffrey Bates with a school group
School Programs - ISM Lockport Gallery Tours
The ISM Lockport Gallery has earned a reputation for exceptional student-oriented programming that is as engaging as it is informative. Class visits to the museum can be arranged for any grade and is generally scheduled for approximately 60 minutes. Each visit is tailored for the appropriate age level and encompasses the following:
An interdisciplinary approach is used in the tours to clarify the role that art plays in our society, and tour content is designed to address various Illinois Learning Standards (ILS) as adopted by the Illinois Board of Education. In addition, students are encouraged to think of the museum as “their place”–a space in which to discover, learn, dream and have fun.
- an introduction to museums
- a guided tour of the current exhibition
- an interactive group project (time allowing)
- the opportunity for individual exploration (time allowing)
Museum tours are offered free of charge Mondays through Thursdays while exhibitions are open, pending staff availability. Free bus parking is available adjacent to the museum. Tours must be scheduled in advance. For more information, call 815-838-7400.
- Lesson Plans
- We have developed 196 lesson plans in art, history, anthropology, archaeology and the natural sciences for grades K-12.
Lessons are correlated to the Illinois Learning Standards.
- Web Exhibits
- Come visit our 23 world famous web "exhibits" such as At Home in Heartland, Geology Online, and Ice Ages. Most of the lesson plans and activities were developed to be used with these exhibits.
- Access to the ISM Collections
- The Museum has over 10 million objects in its collections, but only a small percent are on display in our exhibits. Gain access here to some of our prize objects, specimens, and works of art.
- Online Activities and Games
- We have developed 8 online activities or games that cover a wide range of topics.