Sadorus, IllinoisSadorus, Illinois, is located in Champaign County about twelve miles south of the city of Champaign. It has a current population of about 1,000. Farming is still a major industry in the area.
Henry built a tavern for the many travelers and cattle drovers who came through the area. He also raised hogs and planted an apple orchard. His wife and daughters kept the inn. After several successful years in business, he had a bigger house built of walnut and brick.
Mary died in 1846, and in 1853 Henry remarried. After his retirement, he deeded his 1,000 acres to his children, who paid him an annuity.
William Henry Sadorus, Henry's eldest son, owned land on the O'kaw River for almost 50 years. In 1837, he platted out the town of Sadorus, deeding the Great Western Railway a right-of-way, and donating lots for a jail, school, and churches. He married Mary Ann Moore, the first of three wives he would have. He was a father of six, a successful farmer and briefly owned a small store.
Town, 1890s - 1915
|Copyright © 2012 Illinois State Museum||Site Map | ISM Privacy Information | Kids Privacy | Web Accessibility | Webmaster| Illinois DNR|