Fish Market Wharf
Havana Public Library District, Havana, Illinois
Rebecca Vanderveen Collection.
Fishmarkets thrived along the central Illinois River until the 1930s. Fishermen brought their daily catch to the market, where it was dressed and packed in ice for transport or sale. Markets were located on the shore of the river and had a large live box to store live fish in until they were needed.
Meredosia, Illinois had four fish markets in its heyday -- Meredosia Fish Company,
Main Street Fish Company,
Bridge Fisheries, and Hall's Fisheries. The John Edlen family was the owner of Meredosia Fish & Ice Company. Howard Edlen wrote a short history of fishing in the area for the town's bicentennial book.
The Beardstown Fish Company also sold ice and coal. Havana boasted five fish markets: Lucas's
, Watt's, Rudolf's, Shaffer's, and Riley's. Browning was served by the C.H. Waters & Son Fish Market
, which was founded in 1892. East Peoria had Dixon's Fish Market.