On this page you will find an interactive map of Cahokia Site
"Ancient Topography", using
JShape version 1.51. The Cahokia site is
located in Collinsville, Illinois, and represents the most sophisticated prehistoric
Native American society north of Mexico. Complete information the Cahokia
Mounds Historic site is available
This map is based on data gathered at the Illinois State Museum
The layers consist of:
- Ancient Topography
- Topographic lines based on a 1966 survey map, but with modern features
such as roads erased. Contour interval is 1 meter.
- Mound centers
- The central point of each mound. If you click the Mound Info
button, and then click on the red point in a mound you will bring
up another browser with a page describing the mound. I'm sorry to say that this feature does not currently work, as the external links the external links that were used have moved. May, 2007
- The estimated basal are of each mound.
- 100-meter Grid
- The standard Cahokia site coordinate system.
- Barrow Areas
- Areas of the site in which the ancient people excavated soil
for constructing the mounds.
- Survey area
- The extent of 1966 topographic survey.
#Tue Nov 3 10:41:22 CST 1998 eks