Prehistoric Native American Lesson Plan: Pictionary with the Past
Illinois State Museum Web Site used: Museumlink Illinois Prehistoric Native American
Objective: After viewing the Prehistoric Native American Web site and playing this game as a
vocabulary review, students' ability to use the vocabulary of the unit will be increased as reflected
on vocabulary tests and in writing.
Time Required: 30-minute intervals (less for younger students). As words are guessed, review the
meaning, context, or significance of them as part of a content review. The game can be used as a
Grade Level: 3-7
printouts of pictionary cards on card stock
scissors to cut out the cards
blackboard and chalk for scoring
clock or one-minute timer
Divide the class into two teams of equal numbers (A and B)
Review the rules of the game:
1. Each student has one minute when it is his/her turn to draw, not say, the clues to his/her word. The
teacher chooses the first student from Team A to begin.
2. The team members of the student who is drawingwork together and call out their guess of the
3. If the word is guessed within one minute, the team wins one point.
4. If the word is not guessed on time, the opposing team gets a chance at the same word.
5. Teams alternate turns.
6. Members do not communicate with members of the other team.
7. The team with the most points when time is up or when all cards are used is the winner.
8. The Timer's call is final as to the minute signal and the correct answer.
Assessment: a vocabulary quiz at the end of the unit.
Illinois Goals and Standards addressed:
Language Arts: Reading:Goal 1: Read with understanding and fluency.
Standard A: Apply word analysis and vocabulary skills to comprehend selections.
Late Elementary: 1.A.2b: Clarify word meaning using context clues and a variety of re-
sources including glossaries, dictionaries, and thesauruses.
Middle School: 1.A.3a: apply knowledge of word origins and derivations to comprehend
words used in specific content areas (e.g., scientific, political, literary, mathematical).
Listening and speaking: Goal 4: Listen and speak effectively in a variety of situations.
Standard A: Listen effectively in formal and informal situations.
Middle School: 4.A.3b: Compare a speaker's verbal and non-verbal messages.
Prehistoric Native American Activity: Pictionary --page 1 of 3
see print out of grid of word cards (2 pages)
Prehistoric Native American Activity: Pictionary --page 2 of 3
Prehistoric Native American Activity: Pictionary-- page 3 of 3