Laura Slobe (1909 - 1958)
plaster, circa 1935
27 x 13 x 11 inches
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Cheskin
Laura Slobe, a native of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, worked for the Illinois WPA sculpture program after moving to Chicago. She studied painting at the Art Institute of Chicago, where her two-dimensional work appeared in exhibits five times between 1934 and 1944. She began showing sculpture in the late 1930s.
This carved plaster figure is a modern interpretation of a classic theme. Slobe became known more for her avante-garde sculpture than her painting. The Art Institute established a Laura Slobe Memorial Prize in sculpture.
Collection of the Illinois State Museum
photograpph by Gary Andrashko
ISM Accession #: 1967.26/095
First | Previous | Next | Last