Welcome to the Changes Institute
Earth forces are continually causing change. Climate, land, and living things are all connected. They interact with each other in complex ways. Even a small change can start a chain reaction that, over time, has big effects. Here at the Changes Institute, our scientists study how Illinois' environment has evolved over the last 500 million years and how it continues to change even today.
How to Navigate this Web Exhibit
The topics menu across the top of the pages leads you to the various time periods the Changes Institute studies. The buttons at the bottom of the page take you to
- photo galleries of fossils, bones, artifacts, plants, animals, and other objects
- field notes on plants and animals
- geological forces relating to the time periods
The links at the bottom right lead to:
- examples of how scientists use what they find to piece together the past
- challenges to use clues to solve scientific questions
- more information about the time period and its changes
Click on the Changes Logo (upper left) at any time to return to this Changes Homepage.