Harvesting the River
Harvest Transport History

Home > History > Settlement> Bath, Illinois

 
Postcard
from Bath
Postcard from Bath

Courtesy Gerta Jean Griffin, Bath, Illinois.
Zoom in on Postcard
from Bath
Bath

The town of Bath, Illinois was settled in 1828 by John Stewart and John Gillespie, soon to be followed by other Kentuckians. Abraham Lincoln surveyed the town in 1836. The second house and first mansion, a two-story red brick Italianate four-square, was built by Major Benjamin H. Gatton in the 1840s. The town name is said to have originated with some English settlers, who thought the area looked like the land around Bath, England. Bath was the Mason County seat from 1843 to 1851. The town was the site of one of Abraham Lincoln's "a house divided...cannot stand" speeches in 1858.

The first businesses in Bath included several blacksmith's: Guy Spencer, John Hortsman, and George Steigleder. Other establishments were Gatton and Ruggles flourmill, Cragg's sawmill, replaced in 1975 by Bath Mill, manufacturer of "Queen of Mason" flour, and a newspaper, the Bath Journal, W.W. Stout, publisher, founded in 1860.

The industries of musseling, button-cutting, duck hunting and fishing caused the town's population to swell to more than 1,000 during the first decade of the twentieth century. Fishing became the largest industry in Bath, on the Sangamon and Illinois Rivers, and Wilcox Lake and Cuba Island. Trucks came from as far as Chicago and Louisville, Kentucky, to pick up fish. Seine fishing continued through the 1950s, as the fish population waned. In 1953 a two-day seine yielded 40,000 pounds of carp and buffalo that were sold locally and in St. Louis.

Fish Fry
Sign
Close-up of Sign Announcing Fish Fry in Bath

Courtesy of the Illinois Natural History Survey
Zoom in on Fish Fry
Sign
In 1911, the town inaugurated its first annual free fish fry to celebrate Lincoln's Diamond Jubilee. Five thousand pounds of fish are fried and eaten each year at this event.

Bath was a stop of the showboats until 1927. The Goldenrod, Cotton Blossom, Frenches' New Sensation, and the Majestic brought entertainment to the small town. Local activities and entertainment included band concerts, square dances, quilting and husking bees, traveling medicine shows and later, silent movies.

Duck hunting clubs sprang up the length of the southern half of the Illinois River. They ranged in size from 200 to 2,000 acres each. The market hunters complained that the land was all bought up by millionaires, who then closed it to public hunting, impairing the river residents' livelihood.

In the 1980s, the quiet town of 400 included the Grand Island Duck Hunting Club, former market hunter Dale Hamm's Floating Tavern Go to audio of Alt

Images Videos Audio clips

Home
            
Harvesting
   Fish
   Mussels
   Waterfowl
   Ice
Transportation
   Boats
   Plank Roads
   Railroad
History
   The River
      River Story
      River Flood Levels
      Human Interaction
      Flood Chart
   Settlement
      Mortality
      Bath
      Beardstown
      Browning
      Havana
      Liverpool
      Meredosia



State of Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources Illinois State MuseumSearch